Follow my blog with Bloglovin Rita Wanderlust: What I'm Eating This Week: Lentil Chili

Monday, September 19, 2016

What I'm Eating This Week: Lentil Chili

I haven't run out of things to say about travel if that's what you're wondering.  Not by any stretch of the imagination.  I still think about it constantly, and still plan frequently.  For some reason, I am just having a very hard time articulating any of those thoughts into relevant blog entries.

So...instead, I want to focus on another area that is consuming my thoughts at this moment: my health.  Last year I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and was put on a particular medication, Seroquel, that caused a very substantial weight gain.  Since then, I have stopped taking that medication but have had a difficult time losing the weight regardless.  I chalk it up, in large part, to my laziness, and in part to the frequent changes in medication and the continued need for medications which all have a common side effect of weight gain.  At least one of these things I have control over and have decided to finally start using that control.  I have started running again (I'm being very careful by using my knee braces and never running on consecutive days), and eating proper portion sizes and less junk food.  With that said, I want to try adding a new section to my blog to see if there is any interest.  I will call it "What I'm Eating This Week" in which I will give a recipe that I am using for that week (if I'm trying something new).

Without further ado here is what I'm eating this week:

Lentil Chili
You can find the original recipe at
Little Broken
Ingredients (my version):
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion
2 14.5 Ounce Cans No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes
2 32 Ounce Cartons Vegetable Broth
6 Cloves Garlic, Minced
2 14.5 Ounce Cans White Beans
20 Ounces Lentils (I used red)
1 Bunch Cilantro
Chili Powder OR a combination of the following:
Paprika
Oregano
Cumin
Cayenne
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Bay Leaf
Salt
Black Pepper
Vinegar (optional)
Red Chili Flakes (optional)



Instructions:

  1. Chop up your onion (or use a food processor) and saute it in a large heavy pot with the olive oil over medium-high heat for a few minutes until the onions are soft and slightly golden.
  2. Add garlic and chili powder or the combination in italics if you ran out of chili powder like I did and saute for another minute or so.
  3. Add tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, and lentils and bring to a boil.
  4. Once boiling reduce heat to medium and simmer partially covered for about 30 minutes or until lentils are soft.
  5. Remove bay leaf, add the white beans to the pot and stir.
  6. Transfer 3 cups of the chili to a food processor and process until smooth.
  7. Return to the pot and stir to combine.
  8. Add salt, pepper, and vinegar if you choose and any more seasoning you think necessary (like pepper flakes).
  9. Stir in chopped up cilantro, top with your favorite toppings (sour cream, avocado, chips, cheese, etc.) and enjoy!

Nutrition & Servings:
  • By my calculations, my version of this chili is about 515 calories per serving without any of the fix-ins.
  • This recipe makes about 7 servings, and each serving is 2 cups.

Notes:
  • I hate chopping onions because I have the most sensitive eyes.  I'll start crying even if they are being cut or sauteed in the same house as me.  If you have the same problem, a food processor can help.  I still cried like a baby but it could have been so much worse.
  • You probably noticed that I didn't give specific amounts for the spices and that's because, in that regard, I am a strictly "to taste" kind of girl.  I like things very seasoned and spicy so I added a bunch.  You might want to add less depending on your own personal tastes.
  • I am a super messy cook so, hopefully, your kitchen won't look like mine when you're done (I really should have taken a picture).  Do you tend to clean as you go or leave everything until the end?
Lentil Chili

Safe Travels and Scrumptious Eats,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you think so please let it all pour out.