Follow my blog with Bloglovin Rita Wanderlust: Lions, and Tigers, and Bears! Oh my!

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Lions, and Tigers, and Bears! Oh my!

Rita Wanderlust
The one picture I managed to get off my camera!
I just got my new camera in the mail today, and despite the fact that modern day point and shoot cameras are supposed to be so easy a 5 year old can use them, I am clearly not smarter than a 5 year old because I spent the last hour and a half fiddling around with it so that I could get just one picture to send to my computer.  I don't think I've ever felt out of touch with my youth more than I just did today.  But!  I did finally manage to configure some of the settings (most likely incorrectly) and now I know how to access my pictures off of the camera.  That would be my significant accomplishment of the day.

Primarily, I am looking forward to getting to use this camera when I start my volunteer work with PAWS.  I went to my volunteer orientation and went through the wildlife rehabilitation interview yesterday, and am now awaiting instructions on when I go through training.  Initially I wanted to play with the baby squirrels and otters but that also involved playing with more carnivorous critters.  And as much as I love animals, I really can't stomach the idea of feed a frozen rat or quail in its whole form.  I can barely touch my dogs' food!  So, I'm sticking with baby birds instead.  I do love ducks so it can't be that bad.  However, the real reason my camera will come in handy is that I also want to volunteer my time to take photos of the adoptable animals to be posted on their website.  I think that might be the most fun (unpaid) job ever.  I still have to go through the interview for that one.  I think if I didn't need the money, I would spend the majority of my time volunteering with animals.  The danger would be that I would probably try to steal a baby otter to take home with me.
PAWS
They also wouldn't let me play with the bears and the seals.  How rude is that?!  Something about not being trained in blah, blah, blah.  I know, I know, it's for my own safety but I would probably be the girl that ended up dead because she tried to pet a puma on a hike one day.  Probably for the best that I stick with birds and domesticated animal.  In a related story, I did have a pet squirrel as a kid; he would come sit on my lap and eat peanuts from my hands.  It was fantastic...until the day that he bit me and wouldn't let go.  I was flailing the poor little guy around trying to get him off but he just clung on for dear life.  I never saw that squirrel again and was then forced to go to the doctor to see if I needed rabies shots.  And while I know plenty of people that would blame the squirrel, to this day, I still think it was my fault and that he just confused my finger for a nut.

And as for some travel news: I bought my entry ticket to the Yoga on the Rocks event in Colorado this summer.  I'm so excited to get up early and do some yoga with the view of Red Rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you think so please let it all pour out.