Follow my blog with Bloglovin Rita Wanderlust: Destination Wishlist Update

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Destination Wishlist Update

I just finished reading Memoirs of a Geisha and I have to say that I think Japan is going on my list of places to visit.  I've never really been interested in travelling to Asia.  I've been to Thailand and loved it.  I've been to Hong Kong and hated it.  But those were trips out of convenience (my sister lived in Hong Kong and the trip to Thailand was my birthday present from her), not something I was dying to see.  It's always just a nice thought: "I'd like to see Vietnam."  Unlike my burning desire to go
to Scotland or New Zealand.  But I can now easily say that Kyoto, Japan is on my list of "Places to See Before I Die."  That said, I have no desire to go to any of the major metropolitan areas in Japan, just old world places.  Looking at photos of Kyoto, I am in awe of how beautiful it is.  Of course, I'm not delusional (usually), and I am aware that Kyoto today is definitely not the Kyoto I read about. Sometimes, progress is just not worth it.  I have no desire to see the skyscrapers or the concrete, marvels of architecture a genius came up with in an office somewhere.  I give credit where it's due and I am not hiding the fact that I am astounded by their talent but I live in a city and I feel like the majority of the population these days does as well.  So why would you trade one city for another?  Everything starts to look the same; one building as beautiful or as plain as the next.  When I travel, it is to see something I can't see anywhere else.  To see something like this:

Thailand
My trip to Thailand in 2013
If you've seen the movie Memoirs of a Geisha, you will recognize this landmark.  I wouldn't know it otherwise, but it is beautiful.

Inari Shrine
Inari Shrine in Kyoto (I do not take credit for this photo as it is not
my own but can be downloaded at Pixabay)

Now, just to go off a bit about the book.  I was absolutely enthralled up until the very end.  It was a beautiful story with a very mundane ending.  It deserved more in my opinion but I'm sure there will be plenty of people to disagree with me.  A really good read, though.  I highly recommend it and then you can form your own conclusion of the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you think so please let it all pour out.